Saturday, February 27, 2010

Russell Tip Schafer III


He's finally here!! Russell Tip Schafer III, or Rusty as we call him, was born early on Monday morning, February 22, 2010 at 12:26 am. He weighed in at 6 lb 15 oz and measured 19 3/4 in. He such a tall, skinny baby, but oh-so adorable! We just can't get enough of him!

I know it's been three weeks since he's been born, but I have to share this story, if not for anyone else but me. :) Better late than never, right?

The whole birth experience, and everything leading up to it, was just so surreal. I started having real contractions the Saturday before and I almost went into the hospital that night, but I'm glad I didn't because I would have been sent home. They were consistent that night, but then the next morning, on Sunday, they were very sporadic and minimal... I was so confused on when I was supposed to "know" when to go in to the hospital... I called the midwife on call, Kathryn-- who was the one who delivered Rusty, as well as one of the nurses at Timpanogos Hospital to ask them and they both said, "You'll know when to come in. You're contractions will be very severe and about 2-3 minutes apart. When that happens, come on in." Well, let's just say I NEVER got to that point... even when I DID get to the hospital on Sunday. My body's weird apparently. Anyway, the next day was very sporadic, but starting at about 1:30 pm they started being a lot more painful. We waited until 3:30 to finally get our things together and go to the hospital. It was killing me not knowing how progressed I was and I didn't care if they sent me home... I just NEEDED to know what was going on.

We got to the hospital right at 4:00 and the nurse took us in, set me up to a couple of monitors that measured the baby's heartbeat and my contractions, and checked to see how dilated and effaced I was. Compared to two days before that at my last midwife visit when I was dilated to a 1 and effaced 70%, I was dilated at a 3 and dilated 85%. It was nice to know that I had progressed that much in two days, because I had been dilated and effaced the same measurements for a whole week, which was way depressing. ha ha! They made me stay for an hour so that they could see if there was any progress, and when she came back I was dilated to a 5 and effaced 75%. I was staying at the hospital!


For those of you that talked to me before this, you know that I was going to try and do this naturally... well, after being dilated to a 5 for nearly 4 hours I just couldn't take it anymore. Contractions hurt like no other!! Holy cow! I called the nurse in around 9:00 and had the anesthesiologist give me that wonderful shot. :) I'm glad I did it then because right after that my contractions got crazy! I'm so glad I couldn't feel them... and so is Russ. It made the whole process for him extremely bearable. He was struggling a little. :) My water broke at 10:12 (I didn't know I would be able to feel it, but I totally did, which was interesting) and by 12:00 am the next day I was ready to go. I WAS SO NERVOUS!!!!! I was literally shaking and my teeth were even chattering! (I hear that that's really common, but at the time I thought it was just because I was so nervous!)

My midwife, Kathryn, came in and sat on the end of my bed to have me do a practice push. On my first "practice" push, Rusty's head was already crowning! It was really funny looking at the expressions of the nurses and midwife! She was so surprised that for someone who was having their first baby was already so far progressed... she said that people don't normally get to that point until they've been pushing for about 40 minutes. No objections from me! Literally 8 minutes later, Rusty was born. I know!!! Crazy, right?? I didn't even break a sweat!!! ha ha ha! It was one of the easiest, most surreal experiences of my life. I can't even begin to express my feelings and emotions as I saw his head come out and as I pulled him to my chest when he was fully out. Not to mention how proud I was of Russ for not passing out, let alone being front and center for EVERYTHING! He was so adamant about NOT being involved in any way of the birth, but he held my leg, encouraged me, was very vocal in his excitement throughout it all, and even cut the umbilical cord! What a trooper! Way to go, babe!


Needless to say, this was the most incredible and the most intimate experience of my life. I've ALWAYS wanted to be a mother and now that I'm finally at this point in my life, I can honestly say that I've never felt more comfortable and at peace with this new stage in my life. I absolutely LOVE being a mom and wife and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It is so fulfilling to have the love and trust of a newborn baby, especially one as sweet as Rusty. He's the calmest, sweetest baby EVER! Loving him is the easiest thing I've ever done and I can't wait to watch him grow up. Russ is the best Daddy ever and loves his son more than anything. It was so fun watching him interact with Rusty... giving sweet kisses, staring at him, taking pictures and videos of him, and just awing at the fact that he's a Dad. And Rusty definitely loves his Daddy. They are so fun to watch.



Rusty is now three weeks old and is developing so quickly! Last Tuesday we took him in for his first pediatrician appointment and in a short two weeks he gained almost a full pound (7 lb 3 oz) and grew a whole inch and a half (21 1/4 inches)!! His weight is only in the 11th percentile, but his height is in the 67th percentile... He's still a tall and skinny boy! His reflexes are great and his neck is super strong for a baby so young. He's been very alert this last week and definitely knows my voice and smell, which is way fun! I absolutely LOVE being a mom and am so thankful that Heavenly Father has given me this blessing and opportunity. This is definitely my favorite calling. :)

He's got big, beautiful eyes and it's so fun when he's awake and alert!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being a mom! Especially to this sweet baby!

This was taken the day we got home from the hospital.

Three generations of Russell Tip Schafer's! How fun!

My mom and Russ' mom. Good thing they know how to share! :)

My dad and his sweet wife, Judith. They were here for a whole week and we loved having them here! Rusty sure loves all of his grandparents!

These next few pictures are Russ' favorite... and if you know Russ at all, you'd know why! He's obsessed with sports, but more particularly football, and really wants Rusty to be, as well! His little protege...

Rusty doesn't smile yet unless he's sleeping, so we take all of the pictures that we can! We love his sweet smile.

Proud Mommy

Proud Daddy

1 Week Old

2 Weeks Old

3 Weeks Old


I know that was a lot of pictures, but as a first-time mom, I can't help it! I'll for sure being adding A LOT, LOT more!! :)

4 comments:

Aubrey Jane said...

Keep the pictures coming, they are so fun to see! I am so, so happy for you that you finally get to be a Mommy after lots of waiting. I'm so glad that Rusty's birth went so smoothly and that you love being a Mommy. I can't wait!

Unknown said...

well it's about time! i half expected russ to post a blog while you were still recovering at the hospital :) Congrats again! Glad he's a healthy boy! Now just feed him more so he can play football without getting trampled!

Anonymous said...

He is perfect! Congratulations! Jeez, you tough girl, pushing him out no problem! I love the pictures of him with the football, with Russ ready to catch it, haha. You look gorgeous, love all the pictures! Keep 'em coming!

Alisa said...

He is so cute Brie and you look so good and so HAPPY! Congrats again and enjoy him!

Still So In Love!!

Still So In Love!!
Est. 12.06.06